Professor Getzel M. Cohen z"l Jewish Camp Fund
We are thrilled to announce the launch of a newly endowed fund that will provide assistance to SAR families with financial challenges, to enable their children to attend Jewish summer camp. This new fund, The Professor Getzel M. Cohen z"l Jewish Camp Fund, was established through the generosity of SAR parents Tali Rosenblatt Cohen and Sender Cohen, to honor the memory of Sender's father, Professor Getzel M. Cohen z"l. Professor Cohen was a prolific educator and a renowned scholar of classics. During his early years, his experience at Camp Modin in Maine was pivotal in establishing his love of Judaism and Israel, and created lifelong memories and friendships.
Children love their school days at SAR, and we know that the summer camping experience can have a significant role in a child's social and emotional growth. They establish important relationships with peers and Jewish camp in particular, is a formative experience that research has shown has a great impact on a child's Jewish identity. For many children and their families, camp may be financially out of reach.
The Professor Getzel M. Cohen z"l Jewish Camp Fund will provide grants between $1,000 and $3,000 per child to qualified applicants. This grant is designed to support the important partnership between families, camps, and donor funding to address affordability. Camps partnering** with the Fund will also offer assistance to families that qualify, further reducing the cost for parents.
A core principle of the SAR operating philosophy is to provide support to our families to maintain the social and emotional wellbeing of our children. This program, together with The Cooper Fund, will provide support to SAR families making camp a reality.
To apply for a grant from SAR's Prof. Getzel M. Cohen z"l Jewish Camp Fund click here to download the form and complete directly into the document. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants will hear back within two weeks of submitting the application.
- To submit your application via email, send to Debra May, Executive Director
- Mail or drop off a printed copy to SAR Academy (655 West 254th Street, Riverdale, NY 10471 Attn: Debra May, Cohen Jewish Camp Fund).
We thank the Cohens for their generosity, vision and making a summer camp experience a reality for our families.
- PARTICIPATING CAMPS**: We are pleased to announce that the following camps have already agreed to partner with SAR on this initiative: Morasha, Camp Moshava IO and Ba'ir, Camp Ramah Nyack, Yavneh.
- If your camp is not listed above, not to worry! You may complete the application for the Cohen Camp Scholarship as long as your child(ren) are attending a Jewish summer day or sleep away camp, and you have also applied for assistance from the camp.
- ELIGIBLE AGES: Depends on the camp and their scholarship program, but may include children entering Pre-Kindergarten through 10th Grade.
- APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications this year will be accepted on a rolling basis. Applicants will hear within two weeks of submitting their application.